Re: Much more evolved database preparation script

I don't think there is any question that long-run we want to have all
the installation done entirely in Perl.  This is good because it
reduces dependencies and thus the overall complexity of the
installation.  In fact Erik has always said to me that this needed to
be ported to Perl if it worked well.

I think shell scripts are almost ideal for reference implementations
of administrative tasks because they are quite transparent, easy to
read, and represent an environment that virtually all of us are
familiar with regardless of whether we do SQL or Perl coding or
Sysadmin work.  We have the infrastructure to do all this in Perl
already, but the interface is not very good yet.  I am going to start
a second thread on that, but I don't want to hijack this discussion
too much.  I will say that there are discussions about how we see the
db installation process that may need to be hashed out a little
because they involve dependencies.

But on the whole, the question is:  What do people think of Erik's
script as a reference implementation?  Is the UI good?  What can be
improved from a user perspective?