Re: OpenBSD perl required modules

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:46:51PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Chris Bennett
> <..hidden..> wrote:
> > OpenBSD has lacked a few modules since I first looked at LSMB.
> >
> > I am working on getting those into ports so that any OpenBSD users don't need to use CPAN to
> > get them.
> > There are a few issues using CPAN, since the latest versions don't necessarily work properly
> > with base perl module versions.
> >
> > Locale::Maketext::Lexicon
> > Net::TCLink - I have no way to test this one.
> > Config::Std
> > Template::Plugin::Latex
> > OpenOffice::OODoc - OpenBSD now uses LibreOffice is this still right module to use?
> > Excel::Template::Plus
> >
> > I will report back when I get these in.
>
> That's great! I'm running into the issue that some of these are not
> available in Debian Lenny and Squeeze. Do you know why these
> distributions - like OpenBSD obviously - would not have included these
> modules? Any idea how to go about creating packages for Perl modules?

OpenBSD has a smaller group of developers than many other distributions.
Perl modules are basically done and updated as needed.
I am only just getting the porting process down.

One issue I have seen is that base perl in OpenBSD -current right now (5.12.2) uses an older version of Locale::Maketext.
That version uses two modules to hold some subroutines. Those subs are now re-merged into main module. Latest versions of Locale::Maketext::Lexicon will not work with older version of Locale::Maketext. I am submitting an update of Locale::Maketext::Lexicon.
I am also working on Net::TCLink right now.

Sorry, I don't have a clue how to do that work on Linux. You can however do it the hard way and make sure the version you get from cpan works with your existing modules in base.

Chris Bennett