Re: Taxability on past invoices

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> I suppose that this is an old problem, but...
>
> In 1.2, if an invoice is posted for a non-taxable customer, and that
> customer later becomes taxable, the invoice in reports will show up with
> the original amount and no tax, but upon editing or trying to print the
> invoice, taxes will suddenly appear.
>
> I suppose the proper action is to end the customer which was non-taxable,
> and replace it with an identical customer which is taxable, but that isn't
> always going to be the way it's done.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any intent to fix this bug?
> LSMB would really benefit from some snapshotting in 2.X.

Here's my current thinking:

1) Non-taxable customers SHOULD have the option of taxable invoices.
This is important where one normally buys wholesale but a given
invoice is not wholesale.

2) Viewing an existing invoice should show data as of the time it was
posted.  Changes in what is taxable should not affect the tax on the
display of the invoice.

3)  Viewing an existing invoice should also give an option to see the
invoice as a GL transaction.

> 2.  Are there effects beyond the edit invoice screen, to making a
> non-taxable customer taxable?  Such as amounts being altered in any
> accounts?

Not unless you repost something which is inadvisable otherwise.

> 3.  Is it in any way possible to solve this situation retroactively?

Possible?  yes.  Feasible?  Probably not.  At any rate such a change
would not be bundled in a stable branch.

> I am thinking of creating a new customer with start and end dates around
> the non-taxable period.  Alter the database to make that the customer on
> the non-taxable invoices.  Push the startdate on the taxable customer to
> after the non-taxable period.
> Then presumably printed invoices will be identical to the system's
> viewable/printable invoices.
>
> If that will work, what will I have to alter to make it effective?

Yes.

> Or is there an easier way?

What about flagging an invoice as taxable or not?  Or retrieving tax
values actually saved?