Debian environment startup and scripts

Greetings

I have had someone I know develop a script for installing LedgerSMB in
Debian. The script is written in Pearl. There was quite a few hours of
back and forth as we tried to get things to work. With a fresh system
things should go well. I am having a problem in establishing a user.
Is there anyone who would please be able to give a step by step
(preferably with screen shots) guide? The second thing I could use
would be 7 digit account numbers -  any suggestions as to where that
could be changed as a global variable?

I really need this kind of program for my businesses and am looking
forward to putting something back into the community starting with the
script.

Darald