Re: FOSSExperts

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, MJ Ray wrote:

Is discriminating against disabled users still legal in the USA? :-(

Quite. Visual-only captchas are the number 1 web method of weeding out the visually impaired rifraf from respectable websites.:)

The Drupal captcha pack in Drupal provides things such as text based math, riddle, missing word, and other similar text based alternatives, but I have not run into those in many other places. There are various audio alternatives, which whitepapers I have read suggest are actually more computer proof than the increasingly beatable graphics versions. Of course, they're more human-proof as well, sometimes with multiple streams of reversed speech, and other such badness being used to obscure the real words.

The most interesting seem to be the ones used by FaceBook and a couple others, which use a set of phrases spoken quickly (if I recall, lifted from film in many cases), for which you must enter a few words of the phrase in order to pass. I have tested those, and found that they do not always work in Linux browsers, although IE has no problem with them.:)

Luke