Re: Upcoming 2.0 of LedgerSMB

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> If you are dreaming of a situation in which LedgerSMB is used *and
>> customized* by "average" office workers, I'd say LaTeX is the least of
>> your worries.

> Spoken like a true geek. This isn't hard folks. The web has the whole
> print thing down as long as you are using a modern browser. Simple
> web-pdf tools exist as well.

Color me skeptical.  There a reason most small-business accounting
systems are *not* web-based.  It's a real PITA to get consistent
good-quality print output via the Web without using PDF-generation
tools that completely bypass HTML+CSS.  And if you ARE going to use
PDF-generation tools, you may as well use the best one available.
You can still use LaTeX, but maybe come up with a set of templates that
allow constrained customization (eg, drop your logo here, make a few
minor changes there.)

>> Realistically, installing and customizing LedgerSMB is currently done
>> by Linux and FOSS geeks, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

> You just made my point. One of my goals for 2.0 is to change that or at
> least make large leaps toward it.

Not to be discouraging, I don't think that's a realistic goal.  I
think a more realistic goal is to make it easier for the average
office worker to *use* LedgerSMB.  I believe installation and
configuration will be the domain of the geeks for quite some time.
(Consider that you need to set up Apache, PostgreSQL, a UN*X
system... this is not for the average small-business owner.)

> Again, I am not advocating the removal of latex (well I am, but it isn't
> something I am willing to put any energy into.)

Good. :)  I hope that means my beloved LaTeX won't be going anywhere
soon. :)

>>> We *need* at least as an option to provide simple, easy to modify,
>>> preferably from the browser, templates.
>> How many people have asked for that?  (Just curious.)

> Every single quickbooks and peachtree user.

Again, I don't mean to be discouraging, but I doubt that's the last
remaining hurdle for most Quickbooks or Peachtree users.  LedgerSMB
has far more serious problems to worry about (eg, the Ontario HST
nightmare) than template configuration.

Regards,

David.

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way... I love LedgerSMB and
appreciate all the work you are doing, but I think attempting to
compete in the same market as Windows-based shrink-wrap accounting
software is a recipe for disaster.  Positioning LedgerSMB as a robust
accounting system to be installed and configured by expert consultants
and then used by office personnel is IMO a far more likely road to
success.