Re: more comments on INSTALL.manual re Postgresql

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Adam Thompson <..hidden..> wrote:
> INSTALL talks about using either http://[host]/ledgersmb/initiate.pl or
> using install-mycompany.sh.
>
> In some cases (e.g. Gentoo) the postgres userid does not have a password
> assigned (it's blocked from interactive login anyway) which renders
> initiate.pl unusable.

Not quite.  there are a couple ways around this.  One is to su to the
postgres user and create a new superuser to use.    However one does
require a superuser with interactive login to set up the db.

> install-mycompany.sh, however, sets several key parameters (company name,
> and thus DB name, userid, etc.) that are neither discussed in the manual nor
> prompted for.
>
> Since install.sh already prompts (and thus is interactive), and the only
> place install-mycompany.sh is referred to is INSTALL (i.e. not called from
> any distro pkg scripts that I could find) and thus also interactive...

I think the install-mycompany.sh should be altered to set these
parameters from environment variables or (if not set) read them
interactively.

> I've modified install-mycompany.sh to be interactive, prompting for a few
> key variables, using pg_config to detect PostgreSQL parameters such as the
> contrib directory, and prompting the user for their appropriate CoA (since
> we don't all live in the USA).
>
> Please see attached diff against SVN trunk.

Thanks/.  Will review and likely apply (possibly with adding envars as
an alternative to interactive prompts).