Re: Renting Developer time to advance 1.3/1.4 - anyone want to chip in?

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 21:06 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> > I won't presume to speak for the core devs, but I gather the limiting
> > factor is time availability for the people with commit rights.
> >

> And to be clear I am hoping to rent 1-2+ months of full time
> development from 1+ core developer.  If this doesn't buy a substantial
> advance in functionality then I'm paying the wrong person...

Well one issue you are going to run into is cost. I don't know about
Chris but for us to do that you are going to have to come up with (even
with a discounted rate) 20k+. That is with a significant discount off of
our normal rate.

What I think your best course of action is:

Pick 1-6 feature in priority that you would like to see completed.

Put out a call for developers to bid on the features.

Based on your own professional decision pick a developer that makes you
comfortable (regardless if they are a committer).

Offer to also pay a committer to help review the code should you find
someone that makes you comfortable.

For example, it is very possible you will find someone cheaper than CMD
to handle your priorities but we could easily handle the review portion
for a very reasonable fee and help make sure it gets committed.

And of course the other options is patience :). 1.3 is receiving a ton
of work right now and has been over the last several months. We are
coming along.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake