Re: Re-authentication proposal for LedgerSMB 1.3 (HTTP Auth)

David Tangye wrote:
> On 10/3/07, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:
>> Anyone who thinks a "user" should be able to install LSMB or PostgreSQL
>> is frankly, in a fantasy world.
>>

> OK I guess all the users that use ubuntu, the biggest distro in linux, must
> all be in a fantasy world. They just click to install the Database server or

Yes they are, because it comes completely unconfigured except in the
most basic state. Case in point, yes it is running but how do you connect?

Oh... that's right, you have to be the postgres user.
How do I become the postgres user?
Oh... that's right I have to sudo.
What is sudo?
Oh... o.k. I read the docs on sudo, I understand now.
How do I make it so other ubuntu users can connect to postgres?
Oh... I disable ident, do I then use crypt, trust, password, md5, ldap,
or kerberos...
O.k. I figured that out, but I still can't get lsmb to talk to postgresql?
Oh... I didn't turn on tcp connectivity for postgresql.
How do I do that?

Installation is far from usability. Any monkey can click ok.

> Web server, and it happens. Some probably dont even know which DBMS and
> webserver it is. Apparently this is even more simplified in ubuntu 710, due
> out this month.

That is my point. They don't know what it is and you can not correctly
configure apache or postgresql or lsmb with a package. You can "kind of"
with a wizard, but PostgreSQL especially requires some expertise to get
running correctly.

Joshua D. Drake